Read Before You Clean
Let’s face it, hiring anyone to do anything in your home is so hard. That is why we always ask friends and family who they are using and if they are happy. This is the best way but our family doesn’t have all the answers. So this means that you will have to do some shopping around and that is why you are probably at this website today. I created this page for one reason and one reason only. TO HELP PROTECT YOU!!!! Even if you do not use my company I want you to have some knowledge so that you can pick the right cleaner for your situation. I have been in the industry for over 20 years and have seen a lot of things. I know for a fact if you follow half of what I tell you today you will be just fine choosing the right company.
My Top Ten list of things you need to know or ask when shopping for a rug cleaner:
1. AVOID, AVOID, AVOID the 1.00 to 1.75 per square foot guys!!! Why you ask? I have been in this business for a long time and I can tell you the average cost for professional rug cleaner to do his job correctly. So when you get a quote for a 1.50 per square foot I know they are going to use their big old truck mount with that hot steam on your beautiful rug. In order for them to make a profit they have to. And if the rug bleeds, browns or something else goes wrong their insurance won’t fix it! That’s even if they have insurance. I talk more about insurance in number 6 below. If you want a splash and dash cleaning then call the local franchise. Look, I promise you, anything under $1.75 should send you running. Protect yourself! Protect your rug!
2. If the cleaner wants to clean the rug at your home inside or in your drive way say thanks but NO THANKS!!! Rugs should never be cleaned in the customers home…..PERIOD! A true well trained rug cleaner will have a facility and won’t even ask to do the rug in your home. There are many reasons we do the rugs in our studio. We can go into all those reasons later.
3. Are they Wool Safe Approved? We are a Wool Safe Approved Service Provider and I am Wools Safe Certified. Anyone cleaning wool rugs should be Wool Safe Approved.
4. Have them explain their method. They should be confident in their methods and able to explain them easily. Remember avoid the TRUCK MOUNT! (truck mount cleaning is hot water extraction using a machine that is usually located inside a van and only the hoses are brought into your home. The heat and power that these units create is overkill for most rugs especially for fine wool and silk)
5. All rug cleaners should offer a Wool Safe Approved Fabric Protection.
6. Do they have insurance? Very Important! Just let me explain how this works. All carpet businesses that are legit, will have insurance. The most common mistake I see in the industry is carpet cleaners that think their insurance covers them from major mistakes on rugs. It happens all the time. Carpet cleaning insurance DOES NOT COVER RUGS!! You have to have specific insurance period!! If something is to go wrong a true rug washer will have the proper insurance to cover the issue.
7. Stay away from the tub washers using bleaches and the BIG HOT truck mounts. If they tell you have the greatest and strongest truckmount in the business and they can do this and that you need to keep shopping. Truck mounts are not needed to clean rugs. Again this is not wall to wall carpet and you don’t want some big truck mount cleaning a beautiful wool rug. Hot steam on a wool rug or a silk rug……SCARY! Also the Chem Drys. I won’t say to much other than stay with a company that is a true rug washer. The goal is to keep your rug clean and make it last as long as possible. The products and procedures of these type companies WILL DAMAGE your rug.
8. Will they dust your rug? You HAVE to remove any dry particulate soil before you clean any rug and before choosing any cleaning method that is best for the particular rug.
9. My final and most important question you should ask…..Do They Have a GUARANTEE?
I wish you the best and I sure hope you decide to call us and find out more about our Rug Spa. I am very proud of what this company has achieved and I am also very proud of everyone who works for me. I promise you that your rugs will be taken care of and we will do our best to not only get them the cleanest possible but to assist you in any way possible.